Little brother of the double-wide 277 the 177 does in mono what big brother does in stereo.
The unique design of the m-series 177 delivers not one but two stages of high-gain (& high voltage) vacuum tube signal path without sonic compromise. Harmonics & bass-heavy compression unique to valve topology are delivered with an economy of “hp” real estate (7.5hp!), meager power supply requirements & cost while maintaining euro format cv compatibility.
The model 177 is a high-voltage tube vca with two cv parameters:
- Warm high voltage two-stage tube vca
- Cv amplitude input with attenuator knob
- Cv drive input with attenuator knob
- Ample gain for use as external input preamplifier
- Zero to +5 volt cv-range compatible w/most lfos, envelopes etc.
- Compression with low-end enhancement
- Warms cold digital effects & low-voltage solid-state signals
- Included high-current power supply = low impact on your rack’s “built-in” supply
- 2 cv lamps: 1 blue (amplitude) / 1 red (drive)
- Slovakian max. gain, twin-triode vacuum tube run at high-voltage
- Small: 7.5 hp x 2.275? deep
Yes: “high voltage”—No small task for a euro module. Reason being: even the best euro format power supplies were never intended for providing “b+” (arcane engineer speak denoting high voltage feed for vacuum tubes). Rather than compromise both the operating specs of the tube & capacity of your modular’s power supply the M series 277 includes a wall-wart to deliver both high current & high voltage to the valves without taxing your rack’s supply. Low voltage / low current circuits patch via included ribbon cable & use only a modest amount of power (see specs below for details). 177 provides front & rear jacks for the included supply to facilitate access from outside or inside your rack (cuts down on added wires getting tangled with patch-cords on the frontside).
Use at the end of a patch: rich tube harmonics & brawny compressed low-end add warmth to your cold digital effects / signals while reinforcing plastic sounding low voltage analog sound.
Use as overdrive effect: overdrive effects via cv drive input is a cinch.
Use as external input preamplifier: gain afforded by the 277 is more than adequate to make even the tiny signal of a guitar or microphone patched straight to the input scream. as a modular synth is more than 1000 times louder you may well wonder what happens when such signal is fed through the 177 with controls all set to “eleven”; results are comparable to “max” feeding nitrous to his supercharged steed on a post-apocalyptic australian byway. in other words: before powering up a model 177: full-body horse-hide body-armor is compulsory!
- 7.5 hp
- depth 2.25 (with power cable attached)
- +12v rail peak current 18ma; avg. current 12ma
- -12v rail peak current 3ma; avg. current 2ma
- 12vac supplemental high current power supply: included
sine wave input 1. clean, 2. overdrive, 3. cv pulse—drive, 4. cv pulse—amplitude
cold digital synth signal
cold digital synth, drive effected by pulsing cv input
cold digital synth, amplitude effected by pulsing cv input
solid state signal overdrive
solid state signal drive effected by pulsing cv input
solid state signal amplitude effected by pulsing cv input
spoken word overdrive